1. What is Coaching? Coaching is a professional, unique and confidential partnership between the coach and client that supports the client to accomplish professional and/or personal goals. This is a continuing relationship over a determined period of time with the goal that all actions agreed upon will be accomplished. All clients are held accountable to follow through with their actions – never a once and done. Coaching is about supporting people who are already successful get more of what is important to them. Coaching includes a written coaching contract/agreement so that expectations of the coach and client are clear.
2. What type of things does a coach assist with? A coach helps you to:
Determine and reach goals
Design a plan of action
Make decisions, etc
Additionally, the Coach "stays with" the client to:
Implement the plan of action, working through the inevitable changes and any obstacles
Maintain a healthy balance between your personal and professional life
Keep looking ahead to take advantage of opportunities that are just now formulating
Bring out your personal best, keeping focused on your needs, values and vision
3. Why does Coaching work? Coaching is proven to work when 2 factors are present: The client wants to grow, and there is a gap between where they are and where they want to be.
Coaching works because it brings out your best. A coach believes you can create your own best answers and is trained to support you in that process.
Specifically: Synergy: Client and coach become a team, focusing on the goals and needs of the client to accomplish more than the client would alone. Structure: With a coach, a client takes more action, thinks bigger and gets the job done, thanks to the accountability the coach provides. Expertise: The coach knows how to support the client to make better decisions, set the best goals and restructure their professional and personal lives for maximum productivity.
4. Who works with a Coach? Everyone - Teenagers, college students, young professionals, stay at home parents, middle managers, executives, blue collar workers, entrepreneurs, people in transition, etc, use a Coach to close the gap between where they are and where they want to be either personally or professionally or both.
5. How does Coaching work? Coaching is delivered during regularly scheduled sessions - 2-4 times per month depending on need - by telephone or in person whichever is most convenient. Clients bring an agenda of items to the call or meeting. The coach supports them to solve problems and make the most of opportunities. When the client is taking on a large goal, the coach supports the client in designing the plan and providing the support and structure needed to make sure it gets done. The coach brings out the client's best by offering advice, expecting a lot, helping them strategize and celebrating the wins. A coaching practice can be national, with clients in every area of the country, from big cities to small towns; and coaching can focus on either business goals or personal goals or both.
6. What if I don't know the goals I want? Finding out exactly what you REALLY want for yourself and or your career is our first task together. I support you to distinguish between what you "coulda", shoulda", "oughta" and "have to" want from what you, in your heart of hearts, REALLY want for yourself. Once you create the ideal goal, you are much more likely to naturally and consistently take actions to reach it.
7. What will a coach do for me? It is more like what you will do with a coach. The coach can provide support, direction, suggestions and necessary structure, but it is best if you use the coach to help you get what you want instead of relying on the coach to make it happen for you. With a coach, you will do more than you will do on your own.
8. Do I need a coach? No one really needs a coach. Being needy is not what having a coach is about. Coaching is about supporting people who are already successful get more of what is important to them. I help successful, smart people get more of what they want. With a coach, you will do more that you will do on your own.
9. I just don't have the time right now to start with a coach Being busy often means that you may be missing opportunities and needing to review priorities. A coach can support you to do that and find more time.
10. I just can't afford it right now Coaching is an investment in you and your future. Deciding what you afford is really about making choices. Investing in a coach will help you accomplish that important goal you that you haven't been able to accomplish on your own.
11. Is coaching supported by formal training and ethics?
The International Coach Federation (ICF) is the world leader in coach training and certification. They have a Code of Ethics which they require all of their certified coaches to adhere to. Coaches at Ventura Consultant Group all are certifiedand follow the ICF ethics. The link below will take you to ICF ethics.